History of Our School

A school called Sandhurst Road School was first opened on the Sandhurst site in 1896 to provide education for those living on the Corbett Estate, newly built by Archibald Cameron Corbett following the opening of Hither Green Station. The present building was opened on 30thJune 1904.

In 1943 during the Second World War a German bomber dropped its bomb load on Sandhurst School. Thirty-eight children and six teachers were killed and more than 60 children and staff were injured. Half of the school building was destroyed and rebuilding was completed in the late 1940’s. To mark this occasion, we have a commemorative window at the entrance to the school and a memorial garden in the corner of the playground. Each year, on the anniversary of the bombing, we hold a remembrance assembly. We also receive visitors to the school and the memorial garden.


The Week We Went to War The Sandhurst School Bombing

In 1997 a new building was added and the Prefabricated buildings which were used for extra classrooms were demolished. Later a link was added from the new building to the original school.

In 2012 two extra classrooms and a new Dining Hall were built. In 2017, a further two classes were created.

In April 2018, the Infant and Junior schools merged to become Sandhurst Primary School.

75th Anniversary of School Bombing

This year, 2018, is the 75th anniversary of the bombing of our school.

We had a memorial service for those who were killed and their families and friends.